Dr. Quackenbush began his participation with ISO/IEC SC29 WG11 (MPEG) in 1995 as a proponent in the MPEG-2 Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) work. In 1998, he became Chair of the MPEG Audio Subgroup, a position he still holds. During his tenure as Chair, the MPEG Audio Subgroup has produced numerous excellent standards. The marketplace tends to agree, as the following are some of the most successful and widely deployed audio standards produced by MPEG:
- MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 Advanced Audio Coding (AAC), ISO/IEC 13818-7 and ISO/IEC 14496-3, particularly the MPEG-4 AAC Profile technology
- MPEG-4 High Efficiency Advanced Audio Coding (HE-AAC), ISO/IEC 14496-3, particularly the MPEG-4 HE-AAC v2 Profile technology.
Dr. Quackenbush looks forward to an equally successful record for these newly issued standards:
- Unified Speech and Auidio Coding, ISO/IEC 23003-3
- MPEG-H 3D Audio, ISO/IEC 23008-3
Audio Standards Performance Test Reports
- ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29 Programme of Work. SC29 lists all of the MPEG standards, both those that have issued and those under development. If the standards under development are public documents, there is a link to the document.
- ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29 Ballots. SC29 lists the MPEG standards documents that are under ballot and when the ballots are due.